3 DAY (SOUTHERN) AWAROA COMFORT
Awaroa is the jewel in the crown of the Abel Tasman National Park. With its sparkling turquoise waters and white sand beach, it is truly a magical place. This package gives you the opportunity to walk most of the track from Marahau to Totaranui over 3 days, while spending both nights in comfortable glamping accommodation in Awaroa. With your lugguge transferred by boat and delicious meals lovingly prepared by us, all you need are some comfortable walking shoes and a day pack, and you are ready to explore the Abel Tasman with us!
3 days walking
Total trip time
3 days / 2 nights
(incl travel time)
Kilometres 35 km (approx)
Price NZ$1350 (min 2pp)
2 nights in Awaroa glamping tent / cabin
Tasty meals, homemade snacks, beverages
Pick up & delivery to/from Nelson
Luggage transferred by water taxi
We pick you up in Nelson at 8.30am and we walk to Marahau. The trip begins with a lovely walk along the coast before we stop for a picnic lunch at the picturesque Appletree Bay. The track then climbs gently up to a saddle with a view over the Anchorage bay. We catch the afternoon water taxi to Awaroa and settle in to our comfortable accommodation.
We catch the morning water taxi from Awaroa south to Bark Bay (or beyond for those that may like to walk a little further). We begin our walk for the day with a gentle ascent from Bark Bay, up and over a bush covered headland and drop down into the historic Tonga quarry where granite rock was once extracted and shipped out to other parts of the country. From here we can look out across to Tonga Island, part of the Abel Tasman Marine Reserve and home to one of the parks seal colonies. We enjoy lunch and a walk along the golden sands of Onetahuti beach before continuing on over the Awaroa saddle and back to our glamping accommodation for a well earned drink and delicious meal.
The Awaroa estuary can only be crossed 2 hrs either side of low tide. Depending on the times of the tide (and the weather) we either walk across the estuary to Totaranui, or catch a water taxi, and continue on further to walk some of the northern section of the coast track. From Totaranui we catch the 3.15pm water taxi back to Marahau and arrive back to Nelson approximately 5.30pm.
Carry less, enjoy more!
To help you plan your trip, we offer the following list of what to pack
You need to supply a pack, sleeping bag and comfortable footwear. The weather can change quickly on this track so you must be prepared for adverse conditions. It is a good idea to make your pack as light as possible for your own comfort.
• 1 Comfortable day pack for walking (with waterproof inner pack liner)
• 1 Bag for overnight belongings (with waterproof inner liner)
• 1 or 2 walking poles (optional)
• 1 Good quality weatherproof jacket
• 1 Good quality pair of weatherproof pants (optional)
• 1 Pair of comfortable shoes
• 1 Pair of gaiters (optional)
• 1 Rain poncho (optional)
• 1 Pair of lightweight sandals/jandals/crocs for evenings (and estuary crossings)
• 1 Pair walking shorts (non denim)
• 1 Woolen jersey or polar fleece
• 1 Polypropylene/merino leggings/long johns
• 1 Polypropylene/merino long sleeved walking shirts (non-cotton)
• Spare socks
• Spare underwear
• 1 Spare shirt for evening
• 1 Pair light trousers for evenings
• 1 Head torch (with full batteries)
• 1 Sunhat
• 1 Simplified toilet bag (eg toothbrush + toothpaste)
• 1 Small micro-fibre towel (optional)
• 1 Pair swimming togs (optional)
• 1 Sun block
• 1 Insect repellant
• 1 One litre drink bottle
• 1 Camera (optional)
• Ear Plugs
• Travel pillow (optional)
• Personal nibbles (optional)
• Personal medicines (if required)