2 DAY (NORTHERN) EXPLORER
If you are short on time, this two day option is the perfect way to experience some of the delights the Abel Tasman has to offer. The walk along the Northern coast between Wainui and Totaranui on the first day is magical, with its quiet, pristine beaches and beautiful forests. We catch an afternoon water taxi to Awaroa before continuing South along the coast as far as Bark Bay. For those that want to avoid the busier Southern end, this trip is definitely for you!
2 days walking
Total trip time
2 days / 1 nights
(incl travel time)
Kilometres 29 km
We pick you up in Takaka at 8.30am and we drive to Wainui, the Northern start point for the Abel Tasman coast track. The trip begins with a magical walk along this peaceful coastline. With fewer people in this end of the park, there is a wonderful quietness that prevails. From Totaranui we catch the afternoon water taxi to Awaroa where we either spend an enjoyable evening together with other trampers in the Department of Conservation (DOC) hut, or you may like to consider an upgrade ($100) to stay in a glamping tent.
The walk to from Awaroa to Bark Bay is a favourite for many. As the track climbs over the Awaroa headland, one gets superb views of the expansive Awaroa estuary below. The golden sands of the Onetahuti Beach are a delight to walk along and the historic Tonga Quarry makes for an interesting stop along the way. We catch the afternoon watertaxi back to Totaranui and arrive back in Takaka by 5pm.
Carry less, enjoy more!
To help you plan your trip, we offer the following list of what to pack
You need to supply a pack, sleeping bag and comfortable footwear. The weather can change quickly on this track so you must be prepared for adverse conditions. It is a good idea to make your pack as light as possible for your own comfort.
• 1 Comfortable day pack for walking (with waterproof inner pack liner)
• 1 Bag for overnight belongings (with waterproof inner liner)
• 1 Sleeping bag (in a plastic bag)
• 1 Sleeping bag liner (optional)
• 1 or 2 walking poles (optional)
• 1 Good quality weatherproof jacket
• 1 Good quality pair of weatherproof pants (optional)
• 1 Pair of comfortable shoes
• 1 Pair of gaiters (optional)
• 1 Rain poncho (optional)
• 1 Pair of lightweight sandals/jandals/crocs for evenings (and estuary crossings)
• 1 Pair walking shorts (non denim)
• 1 Woolen jersey or polar fleece
• 1 Polypropylene/merino leggings/long johns
• 1 Polypropylene/merino long sleeved walking shirts (non-cotton)
• Spare socks
• Spare underwear
• 1 Spare shirt for evening
• 1 Pair light trousers for evenings
• 1 Sunhat
• 1 Simplified toilet bag (eg toothbrush + toothpaste)
• 1 Small micro-fibre towel (optional)
• 1 Pair swimming togs (optional)
• 1 Sun block
• 1 Insect repellant
• 1 One litre drink bottle
• 1 Camera (optional)
• Personal nibbles (optional)
• Personal medicines (if required)